Sunday 6 September 2009

A Birthday in Amsterdam

McCarroll (Ken's and Nay's friend from uni) came to pick us up from the train station on his bike, straight away Ken was off having a ride embracing the Dutch culture
Celebrating being 23 in Amsterdam - wearing my new braclet and earrings from Ken  - I did VERY well for myself on my birthday
If you can't tell - I'm pointing to the Ken in Heineken - Ken's idea not mine!!
Showing Kere some loving before he left back to NZ
Ken and I just before we went on an afternoon canal trip
Kere and Hamish on the way to McCarroll's - got the essentials on the back of the bike

Amsterdam
As I said Kere was visiting so we decided to time his visit with a trip to Amsterdam to see the boys friend McCarroll from university. He lives in Amsterdam with his Dutch girlfriend. We flew into Amsterdam on Thursday night and McCarroll met us at the train station and took us out for a drink, translating some of the things the Dutch men were calling out as we passed. It seems that on the day before my birthday I could still inspire a few cheeky remarks from the men in Amsterdam - much to McCarrolls enjoyment (especially as I had no idea what they were saying).
The next day was my birthday and I was very spoilt getting some lovely gifts from Ken, Lol and Nay, Becks and Paul (who had also come away for the weekend) and Bryce and Dale all the way from NZ. Ken had bought along the cards I had been sent so I was able to open them.
We spent the morning at the Van Gogh museum as the weather wasn't very nice and then wandered the streets in the afternoon. That evening we went to McCarrolls for a BBQ and went out to a pub and for a look at the Red Light District (the other end of the street we were staying on).
The next day the weather was great so we took to the canals for a cruise and then back to McCarrolls for another BBQ before flying out on Sunday.
We all had a great time and it was really good to be in a city where we knew someone and he could show us around, McCarroll is a great tour guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment